FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 18, 2018
CHICAGO – The American Society for Health Care Engineering (ASHE) of the American Hospital Association is celebrating the outstanding contributions its members have made to improving the health care physical environment. ASHE presented several awards during its 55th Annual Conference and Technical Exhibition July 15-18 in Seattle.
The Crystal Eagle award, considered ASHE’s “lifetime achievement” award, was presented to George L. Thomas, FASHE, CHFM, LSCS. Thomas began his career in health care as an hourly employee in the housekeeping department; shifted to the engineering department; and moved up the ranks until he was ultimately promoted to vice president of engineering, with responsibility for multiple departments and multi-million dollar budgets. Thomas, who had more than 50 years of experience before retiring, has a passion for the field of health care facility management and for giving back to others in the profession. He served in leadership positions within ASHE and his local chapter in New Jersey, and served as a mentor and inspiration to many.
The President’s Award, which is presented at the discretion of the sitting ASHE president to an individual who goes above and beyond to optimize the health care physical environment, was presented to Susan B. McLaughlin, MBA, CHSP, FASHE, MT (ASCP) SC, CHFM, chief operating officer of MSL Healthcare Partners, Inc. ASHE President Bradley R. Taylor, MBA, CHFM, CHC, said McLaughlin is an inspiration for serving in many leadership roles and for blazing a new path in a traditionally male-dominated field.
Also at the Annual Conference, ASHE recognized dozens of Ilse B. Almanza scholarships, regional leaders, and members who attained senior (SASHE) and fellow (FASHE) status within ASHE.
The FASHE designation is bestowed on those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least seven years and have supported ASHE through education, leadership, and written contributions. The following members are new FASHE recipients:
- Gary L. Hempeck, FASHE, CHFM, BS, with North Memorial Health Hospital in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
- Jeffrey E. Henne, FASHE, CHSP-FSM, CHEP, CHC, with Penn Medicine—Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Devin J. Hugie, FASHE, CHFM, CHC, CHSP-FSM, CHEP, with Children’s Hospital of Orange County in Long Beach, California
- Tim P. Staley, FASHE, CHC, CHFM, with Empirical Energy Solutions Inc. in Little Rock, Arkansas
- Antonio Suarez, FASHE, MBA, CHFM, with Midland Memorial Hospital in Midland, Texas
The SASHE designation is bestowed on those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least five years and have supported ASHE in terms of education and leadership. The following members are new SASHE recipients:
- Robert Baird, Jr., SASHE, CHFM, CHC, CHSP, with UF Health, Gainsville, Florida
- Francis J. Connelly, SASHE, CHFM, with Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Jerry Ferguson, SASHE, CFM, CHFM, with Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare, Germantown, Tennessee
- Jonathan Hart, SASHE, with NFPA, Quincy, Massachusetts
- Ronald Henley, SASHE, CHFM, CHSP, CHE, with Baptist Health in Paducah, Kentucky
- Steven Jalowiec, SASHE, PE, CHFM, with Hospital Energy in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- William E. Koffel, SASHE, PE, with Koffel Associates, Inc., in Columbia, Maryland
- Carol J. McCormick, SASHE, CHFM, with Catholic Health Initiatives in Omaha, Nebraska
- James S. Peterkin, SASHE, PE, with TLC Engineering for Architecture in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Stanford O. Stephens, III, SASHE, CHFM, CHC, CHESP, with Southeast Georgia Health System in Brunswick, Georgia
- Rick Tinsley, SASHE, CHFM, CHEP, with Life Safety Services in Columbia, Tennessee
ASHE also recognized the following regional leaders from ASHE’s regions. The Regional Leader Award recognizes people for their contributions to the fields of health care engineering and facilities management; planning, design, and construction; safety; clinical and biomedical engineering; and technical management.
- Region 1: Kevin Leach, with Mohawk Valley Health System in Utica, New York
- Region 2: George Young, Jr., CHFM, with Atlantic Health System/Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains, New Jersey
- Region 3: Kevin Graham, PE, with Princeton Community Hospital in Princeton, West Virginia
- Region 4: Eric Petrus, with WellStar West Georgia Medical Center in LaGrange, Georgia
- Region 5: Ryan Ollie, with Advocate Health Care in Downers Grove, Illinois
- Region 6: Nathan Hall, with Huron Regional Medical Center in Huron, South Dakota
- Region 7: Richard Oswald, CHFM, with Woman’s Hospital in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Region 8: Jeremy Bechtold, CHFM, CHC, LEED AP, with Saint Luke’s Health System in Kansas City, Missouri
- Region 9: Kristopher Day, with Dignity Health – St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona
- Region 10: Kathryn Dudley, with Saint Alphonsus Health System in Boise, Idaho
For more information on ASHE awards, visit www.ashe.org/awards.
ASHE is a professional membership group of the American Hospital Association. More than 12,500 members rely on ASHE as a key source of professional development, industry information and advocacy, including representation on key issues that affect their work in the physical health care environment. For more information about ASHE, contact 312-422-3800 or visit www.ashe.org.